The aim of the Yvonne Burgu Education Award is to encourage an Aboriginal woman to complete her first university degree or TAFE college diploma.
Applications for the 2017 Award close at midnight on Friday 31 March 2017.
The $1,000 Award honours the memory of the late Yvonne Burgu, senior Ngarinyin law woman from the Gibb River Community in the Kimberley region of Western Australia. Yvonne initiated the establishment of the Wanalirri Catholic Primary School at Gibb River Community, was an accomplished artist, respected community leader, role model and friend. The Zonta Club of Perth commemorates her life of community service by offering this award to an Aboriginal woman entering her second year of study towards a recognised degree or diploma at a Western Australian tertiary institution.
Do you know an Aboriginal woman who could benefit from this Award? Are they:
- residing in Western Australia in 2016-17; and
- studying towards their first undergraduate degree or diploma at a Western Australian tertiary institution?
They will also need to:
- have successfully completed at least all the first year units/requirements of a degree/diploma course (on a full or part time basis);
- provide at least one written academic reference and one written personal reference; and
- demonstrate a commitment to community service.
Completed applications need to be emailed to firstname.lastname@example.org and received before midnight on Friday 31 March 2017.